It’s the time of year when many new parents are starting to think about cribs for babies. Whether you are expecting a baby or have one on the way, crib safety is important. We hope this blog post will be helpful in answering some common questions and providing useful crib reviews and tips!
Cribs are safe for babies as long as they meet crib safety standards.
- Cribs for babies should have a low profile with a high side rail;
- Mattresses should fit tightly in the crib and not move more than an inch on all sides or front to back. Mattress slats should be no wider than two and half inches apart;
- The crib must not have decorative cutouts that could entrap the baby’s limbs;
- Slat strength must exceed 500 lbs, which is equivalent to five hundred pounds of pressure per square inch (PSI) from all directions including pushing down from above, pulling up from below or attempting to bend the bars sideways. Slats need to be sturdy enough that if a corner were pushed against one side, the crib will not collapse;
- Cribs should have a corner posts that are close to but no more than one and half inches apart or at least 23/32″ about an inch down from the top of crib rail;
- Corner posts must be free of sharp edges, cracks and splinters as these can result in injury too;
- If the crib has a drop-side mechanism make sure it is well designed with smooth movement; securely attached; stationary when open; does not fit too tightly between bed rails on closed position (less than two fingers width); lock works smoothly and easily: fits snugly against mattress frame providing good support for the mattress.
Types of cribs
There are many different types of cribs to choose from, including convertible cribs, cribs with special features, crib mattresses, and other accessories.
- Convertible cribs are one of the best cribs for babies because they can be used as a toddler bed or full-size bed when baby gets older;
- Foldable crib is good option if you need to take it on trips. These are smaller than standard cribs but still, comply with safety standards so great for travel purposes only;
- A drop-side rail allows parents to easily reach their child without having to lean over too much. This feature also makes changing diapers easier since mommy no longer needs to bend down all the way every time she changes her little one’s diaper! However, some models have been found after numerous reports that infants could.
Convertible cribs can be converted into a full-sized bed or toddler bed
- The crib mattress should fit snugly in the crib with no more than one and a half inches gap between crib sides. Slats less than two and a half inches apart are safest because there is not enough space for the baby to get limbs or body stuck
- Mattress support must be firm since soft mattresses could result in suffocation, entrapment or SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). Do NOT put your child on top of another pillow under their head as this can cause breathing problems too. The crib sheets need to have deep pockets so it does not come off easily when turning over during sleep
- Crib safety rail pads are great for protecting against injury from falls out of bed at night if little ones happen to be moving around too much. They also keep crib rails from getting dents and scratches in them over time
- Crib bumpers are not safe because they can pose serious suffocation, strangulation, or entrapment hazards for children under two years of age; there is no evidence that crib bumpers prevent injury related to falls out of bed or injuries associated with nearby objects like pillows, toys, etc…
Crib sheets should fit snugly on the mattress without gaps between it and crib sides since loose-fitting sheets could result in the baby being entangled by his limbs during sleep. Flat cloths are best so if your child does roll over face down while sleeping he/she won’t have anything blocking their airway
Dream On Me Jayden 4-in-1 Mini
- Great for saving space and maximizing storage
- Great value for money
- Feature-heavy changing table
- I put it together by myself (super pregnant) and it was super easy.
- Applicable ASTM & CPSC standards
- Dimensions are 56.75Lx29Wx41H inches
- The drawers are not the best. The pre-made holes crack if you use a screwdriver. I would suggest a drill for fast assembly to prevent the wood from cracking. That worked well for us.
- CONVERTIBILITY ALTERNATIVES: Dream of Me Jayden 4-in-1 Mini Convertible Crib as well as Changer grows in addition to your kid. Beginning as a baby crib, you can convert it into a small daybed as well as a twin-size bed (bed rails marketed individually)! Its small dimension makes it excellent for tiny areas
- STYLISH LAYOUT: Constructed of New Zealand pinewood, it flaunts minimal design features- mild, smooth arches & sturdy spade feet. It is readily available in 6 lovely finishes permitting you to mix as well as match with any type of baby room motif!
- FEATURE-HEAVY CHANGING TABLE: The Jayden comes with a detachable 3-drawer transforming table, outfitted with a transforming pad and also a restraining band with an easy release buckle to keep your infant securely safeguarded. Maintain infant fundamentals useful as well as neatly organized in the 3 roomy drawers
- CUSHION MATTERS: The crib has a 3-position flexible mattress elevation setting & features the governing 1″ cushion pad. Select a Desire On Me safe, Greenguard Gold licensed mini or mobile crib cushion for an ideal fit
- FOCUSING ON SAFETY AND SECURITY: All Desire On Me baby cribs meet/exceed suitable JPMA, ASTM & CPSC requirements. Product dimensions are 56.75 Lx29Wx41H inches. Max weight limit 50 pounds. All tools/assembly directions included
The best review of Dream On Me Jayden 4-in-1 Mini
Dream on Me 3 in 1 Mini Crib
- Folding, Portable Crib is the only 3-degree portable baby crib offered
- Strong Birchwood framework; Lightweight, portable framework; Folds up a level for storage space; Perfect for grandparents, taking a trip or second home
- Crib easily exchanges a playpen or a transforming station in secs
- Fixed (non-drop side) rail system; Double hooded safety and security wheels with securing wheels gives the utmost in product safety and security
- Cribbed mattress and all tools for easy set up included
- Baby Weight Restriction: 35 lbs
- Crib measurements: 41Length x 26Width x 40Height – Inches
The best review of Dream on Me 3 in 1 Mini Crib
So today, I’m gonna do a review on the mini crib. The brand that we got is the Dream On Me, three in one folding stationary crib. And I was looking for a solution. We are in a very small space here, and I didn’t want to dedicate a room entirely to a baby that wasn’t gonna necessarily use all of the space within the room.
And initially, especially when the baby’s firstborn, I want the baby closer to me. So I was looking for something that was portable, something that I could possibly take from room to room. I wanted something that was going to be sturdy. I didn’t wanna feel like it could just fall apart at any moment. And I was looking for something that was aesthetically pleasing, something that looked good with my existing furniture.
So I did the research online, and I came across the Dream On Me, three in one crib. And it was delivered. And my husband, he put it together here. And I have to say that am satisfied with this purchase. I believe we paid $129 for this mini crib, but I am very satisfied with this purchase. It feels like it would hold up to about 30 pounds or so, maybe 35 pounds or so.
I plan to use this crib until our baby boy turns two, and then I’ll transition him into a toddler bed. Now, the dimensions of the crib, it’s roughly I think 40, 41 inches long and 26 inches wide, which is perfect for the space that I was gonna put it. I’m putting it in space by my bed. Initially, there was nothing here, but a little side table, side stand, dresser, I forget what you call. A night table. There was nothing there, but a night table.
So we pushed everything closer to the wall to make room for the bed. And it’s very compact, and I must say that it does fit in and out of the doorway. So if need be, if we want to relocate it to another room, we’re able to do so. And it has wheels at the bottom, so that helps for easy transport. And the wheels, they’re locking wheels too for that safety concern as well. As I said, we needed something very portable, and I also wanted something that I could put away if necessary.
Like if I needed to put the crib away or if we needed to travel and wanted to take the crib with us, I wanted a solution for that as well. And so this is all in one with this, I don’t have to buy a separate pack n play. I might still buy a separate pack n play, but I don’t have to ’cause this, it folds flat for easy storage and easy toting, we could put it in the back of our truck and take it with us wherever we need to go.
Now this crib, the three in one folding crib, like the name says, it has three levels. It has a top-level, and the company calls it the changing table level, and they have a middle level, and they call that the crib level, and then the lowest level, they call that the playpen level. Now, right now I have the mindset on what they call the changing table level. Now, it doesn’t seem that shallow.
Well, I wanna say it looks deep enough where when the baby’s a newborn, right now, I feel safe being able to put the baby on that level as a newborn where they can’t really move or do anything. But definitely the first sign of baby being able to move, turn or anything like that, I’m gonna lower it to the crib level. And who knows, when baby’s born, if I don’t feel confident with that level, I’ll definitely just lower it. And it’s very easy how they make it where you lower the levels down. Now, what I did do, I bought an extra mattress pad for the bed.
The mattress pad that it comes with is very thin and flimsy, and it just didn’t look like the baby was gonna be comfortable on that. And when I was reading a lot of the reviews, they did recommend you getting the extra pad. And so I’ll put it down below, the other pad that I got to go along with it. I had actually both pads on the bed right now. Another good thing about this bed is that it comes and multiple finishes. I think they have six finishes available. I like white to gray, natural wood, many finishes available.
I chose the cherry finish ’cause I was trying to attempt to match the other furniture within that space. And pretty much most of the furniture in my house is like dark-colored wood furniture. So if we were to put it in another space, it would pretty much flow. So that’s pretty much the reason why I got that color. I definitely was eying the white, the white crib, for some reason.
The colors that I’ve chosen, choosing, excuse me, for, I guess, you can call it a nursery, which is really just the corner of our room, gray and white, that’s just the color which is on elephant theme, is what it would be. So it does look nice against the cherry. It looks nice against the gray and white. And that’s my review of the Dream On Me three in one crib. As I said, all in all, I’m very satisfied with this purchase.
I’ll probably do an updated review once the baby actually gets here to share just the functionality of putting the baby in the crib or taking the baby out of the crib, or even the different levels with the baby in the crib on that piece, but that would be a separate video. All the best.
Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Crib + Toddler Mattress
- Convertible crib
- 3 position mattress height adjustment
- Strong and sturdy wood construction
- JPMA certified
- All safety standards CPSC & ASTM
- 55.75 W x 30.25 D x 43.75 H Inches
The best review of cribs for babies Delta Children Emery 4-in-1
Editors choice: Top Baby Cribs and mattress
|Best Cribs for Babies||Delta Children Emery 4-in-1|
|Best Mattress for Baby Cribs||Graco Premium|
|Safe Sleep||Cribs And Infant Products|
|What are the requirements for crib mattresses?||Crib mattresses|
- Folding Portable mini baby crib with 1.5-inch mattress
- Safety standards CPSC & ASTM
- The 2 position mattress height adjustment
- TERRIFIC BABY CRIB FOR SMALL SPACES OR TRAVEL: Baby crib consists of casters for easy mobility; Folds flat for very easy traveling and also storage space; The included bed mattress (dimension: 37.5 Inches L x 23.25 Inches D x 1.5 Inches) stores best in the crib when folded up
- GROWS WITH CHILD: The 2 setting mattress elevation change on this baby crib enables you to reduce the mattress as your child begins to sit or stand
- STURDY: Solid and also durable timber building and construction assists develop a desire nursery where you’ll invest lots of Mommy as well as Me/Daddy as well as Me time; Easy setting up
- WE PUT YOUR BABY’S SAFETY FIRST: This baby crib is JPMA licensed to fulfill or surpass all safety standards set by the CPSC & ASTM; & ASTM; Examined for lead and also various other hazardous aspects to satisfy or surpass government and ASTM safety criteria
- DIMENSION: 39 Inches W x 25 Inches D x 37.25 Inches H; Cuna para bebé que cuenta disadvantage dos alturas de colchón para mantenerse al día disadvantage su pequeño/ pequeña en crecimiento
The best review of cribs for babies Delta Children
Hey, y’all, it’s me, I’m popping in really quickly to share with you something that I have been loving, loving, loving at the moment, and it is my Delta Mini Crib. It’s a fold in a mini crib.
This crib is everything we’ve been looking for. I probably should have done this with my other two children instead of a basinet, because it’s just very convenient, very portable, and it reduces clutter because it’s one piece of furniture that transitions from newborn to the toddler stage. This Delta Mini Crib can retail anywhere from 90 something dollars to just over $100.
It’s very affordable. I didn’t wanna spend too much money on a bassinet and then get a crib, and then have to upgrade after that. So, what we did is we went ahead and purchased this. I looked at the reviews on Amazon, they were great. So, I took the leap of faith and purchased it. And I’m so happy that I did that. So, it’s very, very affordable.
One of the other benefits of this mini crib is it’s foldable, so you can fold it flat, and that’s great because if you wanna take it into another room and the doorway is too small, you can easily fold it and carry it into that room.
You can also travel with this crib, it’s not that big. And for traveling it might be a bit heavy, but if you’re traveling by car a short distance, maybe you’re dropping your kid off to family for the weekend and you’re going away, then you can easily transport what they’re used to sleeping in without too much of a hassle. So, I really like that about it. It’s also a mini crib, so it’s obviously not full size. So, you don’t have to deal with the bulk of a full-size crib.
I know that I said that it can fold and go through a doorway, but it also fits through standard doorways. So, it fits through the doorways of my house without a problem, and that’s been amazing because I can take this crib from my bedside to the kitchen and back without a problem. It’s really, really simple to move around. I also will keep my son in it and rock him.
So, when he is fussy and he doesn’t quite wanna be held, he’s trying to get himself to sleep, one of the things we’ve been doing is we’ve been putting him down and just kinda rocking the crib back and forth because another bonus, another benefit is it does have wheels. So, because of the wheels, you can easily rock your child back and forth, and it’s just great.
One of the things that I was going back and forth with is I wasn’t sure what I wanted to get, but I knew that whatever I got to put my newborn in, I wanted to be able to see them. So, it was either one of those mesh businesses so that I can clearly see him right from my bed. And if he needs an intervention of any kind, I could just really quickly just help him.
I also wanted it to be up to the level of my mattress, which is pretty high. So, those are some of the things that I was thinking about when I was trying to figure out what to get. So, this mini crib offers both of those things. It’s high enough to where I can reach in and help my baby if he needs me, and then I can also see right through it because obviously, it’s a crib with bars.
So, instead of getting the mesh bassinet that I was considering, I am so happy that I went this route. Another thing is this crib comes in a few different colors. So, that’s a plus, especially if you try to figure out how it’s gonna fit in with your decor. We went ahead and got this soft gray color. It’s perfect for our household because we have gray tones all throughout the house.
It looks like a piece of furniture that we purchased for the house for decor purposes. But it’s super practical. And that’s pretty much it, guys. I can’t say enough good things about this crib. I love that I’ll be able to take this crib from my bedside into the baby’s future room without a problem. I love how portable it is, how small it is.
I have less furniture, less clutter in my home. And I’m just really happy with this purchase. So, I definitely recommend this product if you are considering what to get for your newborn. If you stumbled upon this video because you were curious about this mini crib, I would say I highly recommend it.
So, if this video helps you, go ahead and give it a thumbs up, subscribe and hit the notification bell so you don’t miss my future reviews. And I will see you very, very soon, bye.
Graco Benton 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- 4-IN-1 CRIB: Easily converts from crib to young child bed, daybed, and full-size bed with headboard (optional Graco Toddler Guardrail, Graco Full-Size Conversion Package, as well as bed mattress offered separately).
- ADJUSTABLE MATTRESS ELEVATION: With its 3 adjustable bed mattress support base heights, the Graco Benton ensures benefit for moms and dads while keeping security top of mind; created to fit a most common full-size crib and kid foam cushions.
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN: Offered in 5 non-toxic coatings (Espresso, White, Pebble Gray, Driftwood, and Whitewash), the Benton was designed to match any kind of baby room décor.
- SECURE CHOICE: JPMA accredited as well as meets or goes beyond all suitable ASTM and also CPSC safety and security standards; made with premium yearn timber and compounds.
- DIMENSION: Size (56.7 inches); Width (29.8 inches); Elevation (42 inches); Weight (41 pounds); Maximum kid height for crib stage (35 inches); Optimum advised weight limit for toddler bed and daybed stage (50 pounds.
The best review of cribs for babies from the Storkcraft
FAQ about crib for baby:
The American Academy of Pediatric medicine suggests sharing the same room with your baby for the first 6 months. (Though not the same bed – children, should continuously have their sleep surface.).
CPSC’s internet site called old baby cribs one of their “Most Desired” dangerous products, and also forever reason. Old baby cribs position a variety of risks to children and even toddlers. Edge blog posts can position a threat to babies that can stand, as loosened apparel can become captured on the messages.
Your baby’s crib needs to be reduced by half a notch, or perhaps an entire groove when they can stay up (resource). This typically takes place between 5 as well as 8 months old. As soon as your baby can bring up by themselves, you need to adjust the mattress to its most affordable setting for your baby’s security.
Although baby cribs are risk-free for infants, they can look bare as well as uncomfortable, especially if you adhere to the advised guidelines and avoid making use of any cushions or blankets. A bassinet is smaller and also cozier, so it does not look as thin and large for a newborn.
If your baby mores than happy without swaddling, never mind. Always place your baby to rest on his back. Wrapping for a brief amount of times is most likely fine, but if your baby is mosting likely to invest a considerable amount of the day and night swaddled, take into consideration using a swaddling sleep sack that allows the legs relocate.
The slats as well as edge articles of a crib ought to disappear than 2 3/8 inches apart (yes, it’s great to whip out the leader while you’re looking for your baby).
Risks of dropside baby cribs. Since December 2010, the U.S. Consumer Product Security Commission (CPSC) outlawed the manufacture and also a sale of what it calls “harmful, typical dropside cribs.” Throughout this duration, a minimum of 32 youngsters passed away as a result of structural problems with their cribs.
There’s no collection time when you need to change your youngster’s crib with a routine or kid bed, although most kids make the switch sometime in between ages 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. It’s typically best to wait until your youngster is better to 3, considering that many children simply aren’t all set to make the shift.
Dream On Me Jayden 4-in-1
I was really excited to have a changing table this time around. This crib is perfect, especially if you have a small room or space. Normally with premade stuff like this, there are usually issues with getting the holes to line up, but this crib went together beautifully! The drawers are pretty solid and so is the shelf on the back of the changing table. The drawers slide in and out smoothly as well. The bottom of the crib is solid, and honestly probably one of the heaviest things in its box—I couldn't be happier about it!
- Great for saving space and maximizing storage
- Great value for money
- Feature-heavy changing table
- Feature-heavy changing table
- Applicable ASTM & CPSC standards
- Dimensions are 56.75Lx29Wx41H inches
- The drawers are not the best. The pre-made holes crack if you use a screwdriver.
For small spaces
Value for money
Easy to assemble